Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Deck the... Tree?

Hey friends!

This week I'm linking up with Jamie for "What I Love Wednesday!"


Ornaments- Can I please just say that I love ornaments. Seriously. It's an obsession. Sometimes I look at my tree and I can't really see it because it's filled with ornaments. And I love every. single. one. of them. I saw this awesome idea on Pinterest where you take pictures of each of your ornaments with stories behind them and then type up a little blurb about their stories and make a book out of it so that you never forget why they are so important and so that later your kids and family will know why you loved these pretties on your tree. 
I definitely plan on doing this. I really can't wait to get started. Next time I get a code for a free shutterfly book, this bad boy is getting made. But, until then, I figured I'd document a few special ones for my blog. 
I really do love them all, but here are a few of my favorites:


I worked at Hallmark all during high school and I became obsessed with all things Christmas and cards. While I was working there, an ornament series began that features a different flower fairy every year. This little lady is the Mistletoe Fairy and she's pretty cute. My mom gets them for me and it's something I look forward to every December.



This ornament is the very first one I gave to my Mr. We began a tradition when we first started dating that we would give each other an ornament that meant something special to the two of us that would remind of that year. One of the first things I'd ever cooked for him was cinnamon toast. He'd never had it before and he thought I'd invented it. I'm not sure how he had gone his whole life without having it, but it cracked me up that he thought I was the cinnamon toast mastermind. Since then we've cooked countless tasty meals together, but this little ornament serves as a reminder of how much credit he gives me in the kitchen.



This here is the little fat mouse. The Christmas before I got married, when it was time to take down the tree (also known as one of the most depressing days of the year), my mom and I began to take ornaments down and divide them into her pile and mine. We had a great debate about who this little fat mouse really belonged to. In the end, I won the battle, but I did some pretty extensive digging on the internet and found her one. Each year when I put up this little guy, it reminds me of all of my mom and my Christmas memories. 



This is the other series that I collect and love to pieces. Willie started this one for me a few years ago and I love how cute it looks on our tree. Cooking and baking are two of my favorite hobbies and this cooking themed series is one of my favorites. 



This little elf might look a little silly, but we love it so much! My Mr. and I love traveling to Savannah. It is for sure one of our favorite vacation spots. We've brought many of our friends with us and introduced them to all fun Savannah things and helped them fall in love with the city, too. One of our must-stop places is Uncle Bubba's. Uncle Bubba is Paula Deen's brother. If you know me, you know I love some Paula. I'm not really an oyster fan, but UB has these chargrilled oysters that are out of this world! No lie. They cover them in garlic butter and parmesan cheese and grilled them. This ornament is made out of an oyster shell from UB. And Uncle Bubba himself signed it for us when we stopped by and he was there. 



For obvious reasons, this horse is approaching the top of my favorite list. This year has been such a blessing and we are just head over heels for our little man.



This ornament is also a favorite for obvious reasons. I love everything about being a wife and I really treasure this ornament.



My sweet friend Lori gave us this ornament and I couldn't love it more. It is the very first ornament that has all of the names of our little family. And what makes it even better? Will's eyes are really that blue. :) He gets them from his daddy.


When I look at this ornament, this year especially, I get emotional. I miss my Memommie all the time. This time last year Blake and I had just visited with her and brought her a little Christmas charm bracelet with the 12 days of Christmas figurines all around it. She loved and put it on the second she opened it. She never took it off. She passed away the day after Christmas last year and not a day goes by that I don't think about her. I miss just being able to call her and chat. I miss her making pillow cases for us that she was so proud of. I miss checking the mailbox and finding sweet cards out of the blue saying how much she loves me. More than anything, I wish she could've known that Will was on his way. We found out we were pregnant only a couple of days after her funeral. I know she is his guardian angel, and mine, too, but I still miss her so much. She gave me this heart shaped ornament a few years ago. When you wind it up it plays "You are so Beautiful to Me." The inside reads "I was never so blessed as the day you were born." The outside says "My Precious Granddaughter."  


This ornament is a little treasure that my best friend made for me 11 years ago. I smile every year when I hang it on the tree. I just love it so much. It reminds me of what a blessing she is in my life and how much I love her. Also, I love her cute handwriting. :)

So, what ornaments are on your tree? What do they mean to you? 

Sending merry Christmas wishes your way!
-Mags

2 comments:

  1. im so glad you love the ornament i gave you!

    i know this time of the year is really hard, missing your memommie... but what sweet things she left you to remember her by- i know you will cherish those forever!!

    love you, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not gonna lie, our ornaments have no meanings. George is so picky about how the tree looks that I just buy what he wants. :) We do have 2 'L' ornaments. We've bought one every year we've been married. We haven't found one for this year, yet.

    ReplyDelete