Sunday, December 30, 2012

For Auld Lang Syne, My Dear- Goodbye, 2012

Hey friends!


First off, I have to say that I love "Auld Lang Syne" but I had zero clue until I wrote this post what it actually means. Here's what I found out. Auld Lang Syne= Days gone by. My favorite recording ever of this song is from Sex in the City. If you don't know the scene I'm talking about, click that little link. Not only will it make you love that song to pieces, but it will probably make you want to rewatch the Sex in the City movie. 




It's that time of year again. Time to say goodbye to one year and welcome another with open arms. Normally I'm super excited to have a fresh start, but this year is a little different. Don't get me wrong, it hasn't been all sunshine and rainbows. It has had more than its fair share of frustrations and pain. But this is the year that my life got turned upside down in the best way possible. This is the year that Will made me into a mommy. One of my biggest fears is forgetting all of the details of life with him as a newborn. I look at him now and watch him trying to sit up by himself, or trying to hold his own bottle, or laughing his head off at his daddy or me and I don't want to forget a single moment. I know I'm ridiculous. Everyone tells me that each stage is better than the one before, but I really can't believe them. What can top the smell of a new little baby? Or how they like to tuck their little feet under them when they curl up on your chest? I feel like each year will just push me farther and farther away from this wonderful time. 
I know I'm sappy, but I can't help but tell you what I'm really thinking about all of this. 
We found out just a few days into January that I was pregnant. That alone was a great kick off to the year. Our excitement grew every day that we grew closer to meeting our little bug. We waited a while to share our big news. Our very close family and friends found out earlier, but we told the facebook world back in March like this...
In case you are just skimming through my post, please know that this is an OLD PICTURE. We ARE NOT currently pregnant, nor do we plan to be for quite some time. That is all.

Between January and March was February. I was trying to do this whole thing chronologically, but I guess I already messed that idea up. In February my hubby started his new job. For a few months during my pregnancy we only saw each other two days each week. It was really tough and I missed the mess out of him, but I think it made us an even stronger duo. It also gave me even more respect for military families who go for WAY longer periods of times missing each other. 

In April  we packed up most of our old apartment and moved our stuff to our new one.

At the beginning of May I graduated with my Master's degree in Public Administration. At the same time I finished my position as a Community Director for the college I worked at. Both of these changes were huge in my life. Another big event happened in May. Two of my very best friends from college married each other. 

Are they not the cutest?
Here are my Mr. and me at the photo booth. I can't wait to tell our little guy that he was bridesmaid in his Aunt Lyric and Uncle John's wedding. :)

In June we spend lots of time getting ready for Baby Will. Want some proof?




We also went on our Babymoon. To anyone out there debating on whether or not they should go on a trip right before their first baby gets here, let me tell you- it was one of the best decisions we made. We had such a wonderful time relaxing and just enjoying each other's company. 
In July my not-quite-here-yet baby boy and I got spoiled rotten by my sweet friends and family with two wonderful baby showers. 
You can read more about them here and here. We are so thankful for every person who helped with the showers and who came to them. 

Obviously August was our favorite month. Baby boy was expected in September, but due to some circumstances, he made his debut a little early. 
September was a giant blur for my hubby and for me. Another couple of our friends got married and we spent lots of time getting adjusted to having a little one. 

October was when I really started feeling like myself again. I was getting back into my pre-preggo clothes and able to sleep on my stomach again. Woo hoo!

November was wonderful. We spent lots of time with friends and family. And of course I put this silly hat on my baby boy. 

And then of course was December. Bug's first Christmas. And what a wonderful Christmas it was. It's so strange to think that this time last year we didn't even know that we were pregnant. It's amazing to know how much life can change in just one year. 



I know I sound all sad about the end of 2012. And believe, I am a little bit. I also know that 2013 is going to be wonderful. My hubby and I are under contract on our first house and should close in February. I'm sure at some point this year our little guy will learn how to sit on his own, how to crawl, and even walk! And his first birthday will be here in less than 8 months. And before long, I'll sit down here and write a post similar to this one. 

So, 2012. Thank you for being good to me. And 2013? It's going to be so nice to meet you.

xoxo,
Maggie

1 comment:

  1. ahhh, i didn't realize i was so behind on your blog!

    but i loved this post... and i also loved that we became such good friends in 2012 and i was able to experience a lot of these things with you! i am SURE 2013 is going to put 2012 to shame- you just wait ;)

    ReplyDelete